This post was first published on 11 May 2016 and was updated & republished on 27 April 2019
This super-fresh pea salad came together as a quick and simple packed lunch option a few weeks ago, using ingredients I had in the house. The mint gives this dish a real feeling of spring. It would work perfectly as a side dish, or part of an early-in-the-season picnic.
When I originally posted this recipe, my husband knew I’d been feeling a bit overwhelmed (I was working full time, running this blog, planning a wedding and trying to maintain some semblance of a social life), so he came home with the most gorgeous picnic basket, complete with a pocket for wine, stemmed plastic glasses and a corkscrew. I still insist on dragging the basket out for picnic every summer (it may be pretty, but its also unreasonably heavy & awkward to carry).
Anyway, back to the recipe. Its one I often turn to for packed lunches, and since publishing the original I’ve tweaked it a little to make it even better, adding more herbs, and a sprinkling of microgreens, for extra flavour and texture.
Herby Pea & Rice Salad
- 120 g Basmati rice
- 0.5 tsp. Salt
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 120 g frozen peas
- 100 g Baby spinach
- 2 tbsp. Lemon juice
- 0.25 tsp. Black pepper
- 2 tbsp. Fresh mint
- 2 tbsp. tbsp. Fresh Parsley
- 2 tbsp. Fresh Chives
- Thoroughly rinse the rice in cold water and put into a saucepan with 240ml of hot water and half the salt (0.25 tsp.)
- Bring to the boil on the hob over a high heat, then turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until the water has all cooked away – Don't let it cook completely dry & burn the rice though
- Remove the pan from the heat and dowse the rice in cold water, to halt the cooking process., then set it aside for the time being
- Heat half the olive oil (1 tbsp.) in a shallow pan or skillet, over a medium-high hob
- Add the peas to the pan & cook until they are charred – this should only take a minute or so
- Drain the rice from its cold water and add it to the pan with the peas
- Rinse the spinach under cold water, roughly chop it into strips and add it straight to the pan with the peas and the rice, to wilt
- Once the spinach is wilted, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the lemon juice, the black pepper and the remaining olive oil and salt
- Rinse and chop the mint, chives and parsley, stir them into the rice dish & top with microgreens
This pea salad will last for up to 3 days in the fridge, and travels well too.