This orange, tomato & sunflower seed salad was inspired by a recent conversation with one of my oldest friends.
I think we were both lamenting a recent lack of fresh fruits & vegetables in our lives. Has the recent hot weather had anyone else living on a diet of pub snacks, barbecue food and ice lollies?
Anyway, she gave me divine inspiration to make something fresh and colourful and tasty and summery.
This dish is gorgeous.
Like I mean yeah, it tastes delish (that goes without saying for any recipe I post on here).
But the bright, jewel-toned colours make it look beautiful too.
Theres no need to buy and prepare whole kale stalks (though kudos to you if you can be bothered). Just buy bags of prepared kale, rinse and you’re good it go.
Tangerine, Cherry Tomato + Sunflower Seed Kale Salad
For the kale
- 100 g Kale
- 0.5 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 pinch Salt & Pepper
For the dressing
- 0.5 Orange (juice & zest)
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 0.5 tbsp. White Wine Vinegar
- 0.5 tbsp. Brown Sugar
For the oranges & tomatoes
- 2.5 Oranges
- 200 g Cherry Tomatoes
- 50 g Sunflower Seeds
First, make the orange & sunflower seed dressing:
- Zest one half of one of the oranges, then chop the orange in half (put the other two-and-a-half oranges to one side) and juice the half orange
- Add the orange juice and zest to a small saucepan, with the olive oil, vinegar and sugar
- Heat over a medium-low hob, until the liquid begins to simmer, then continue to simmer for around 10-15 minutes, until the liquid has thickened
- Allow the dressing to cool a little before you assemble your salad
Then, prepare the kale:
- Remove the woody stalks (or just buy prepped kale if you’re lazy like me), rinse and add it to a large bowl (making sure it is still very damp)
- Add half a tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt & pepper cover the bowl (with cling film, or a large plate), and shake to distribute the oil and seasoning
- Microwave on high for 45 seconds, shake again, and microwave for another 45 seconds
- Let the kale cool while you prepare the rest of the dish
Prepare the oranges & tomatoes:
- Peel the remaining oranges and chop into small chunks (slice into eighths roughly along the segment lines, then chop each ‘segment’ into halves or thirds)
- Quarter or half the cherry tomatoes
- Mix the chopped oranges and tomatoes together in a small bowl, along with the sunflower seeds
Assemble the salad:
- If you’re travelling with your salad (into the office, or on a picnic) you may want to keep each element (the kale, the dressing and the oranges & tomatoes) separate until you are eating
- When you’re ready to eat, just line each dish with kale, top with the orange & tomato mix and drizzle over the dressing